Saturday, March 10, 2012

Husk restaurant in Charleston, SC

My husband had to go to Charleston on business and so we made a short weekend of it. I've been wanting to try the much acclaimed Husk restaurant, which Bon Appétit magazine voted as America's best new restaurant in 2011.
I had the, ahem, "NC Confit Duck leg with creamy farro, spinach and charred leeks, brown butter crumbles, and peanut jus"  I'm sad to say that it wasn't the best meal I've had in a while.  But we went for lunch, and this dish was only $13, and it was definitely worth that.  Our waiter explained that the farro is an heirloom grain, and  it was chewy and nutty; quite enjoyable.  My husband had the BBQ sandwich and his wasn't spectacular either.  Maybe the whole point for this place isn't about being spectacular; it's more about using well researched, locally sourced ingredients.  And this they do well.  You can go on their website and read about all the local farms they buy from.  So would I eat there again?  Probably for lunch; I do enjoy tasting foods that are no longer used in our mainstream culture.  
One of my favorite things about husk were the tools they used to serve the food.  This little French press by Frieling was adorable, and I loved the mini glass cream jar.  Also, the drinking glasses (made from lopped off wine bottles) are made by a local of my Columbia, SC hometown.  He also makes glass slides for playing guitar.


We stayed neared the Ashley River and I got out to take a little photo tour...


This old house was in spectacular disrepair.  I enjoy looking at the run down houses more than the refurbished ones; they give you a sense of the true history of the place.

More proof I can say "Been there, done that"



 

No comments:

Post a Comment