Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Kauai, Hawaii

I went to Hawaii by myself, fresh after a break up.  Originally, I was supposed to go on this trip as one half of a duo, but when he backed out, I decided to go alone.  If you haven't ever tried traveling alone, TRY IT!!!! It was an amazing experience and I met people I would not have otherwise met.  I ended up spending one whole day with two retired teachers who came to Kauai often and so got to experience it on a more local level.  I met another guy who was a homeless hippy who painted beautifully and kept notebooks just like Leonardo da Vinci (and he looked a bit like da Vinci, in fact!)  Several Europeans stayed at my hostel, and I hung out with them and learned about where they were from and their different perspectives about life.

Plus, I got a lot of inspiration for some paintings, such as...
These cows started out staring at me from a safe distance of several hundred yards away.  One would take a step forward (slowly), then another, then another, until after 20 minutes of them inching towards me, they were right up at the fence trying to get a sniff.  I couldn't resist painting them!

This is Queen's Bath, another place I couldn't resist painting...


What I loved about Kauai is that one can drive a car down any random road and inevitably will find a hiking trail that leads to some magical little place one can call all your own, at least for the moment, like this pic above.

Most of the beaches in Kauai were very empty.  This one was near Princeville.  I found another one that was at least a mile long one morning around 9 am, and not another soul there.  It was GORGEOUS! (That was close the end of the road near Na Pali Coast State Park)


Rope swing at the beautiful Kipu Falls

Waimea Canyon (see the waterfall to the right?)


Kauai is home to the wettest spot on earth, they say.  This picture is the result of another random hike down a trail I found whilst out poking around with my rental car.



At least someone was getting a little love in Kauai!


Just one of the spectacular beaches


There are random waterfalls everywhere.  When it rains, they start flowing from the mountain tops.

For lodging, I stayed at the hostel in Kapaa.  It was fun, and there were people from all over the world staying there, including the permanent house-guest/Leonardo da Vinci clone.  Plus the guy that was managing it at the time had a style aesthetic close to that of the artist formally known as Prince.  He regaled me with stories such as how he dressed as a Playboy bunny for a halloween party and everyone thought he was the shizzle.  He said all the girls wanted to grab his little 'poof'.  I bet!
  But if I went back now, I think I'd stay at Waimea Plantation Cottages for a more authentic experience.  For more luxurious places, check out Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa or St. Regis Princeville Resort.

Best Beaches: Poipu Beach, Hanalei Bay, Kalihi Wai Beach, and Makua Beach

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment